2004-10-11 - Gunshoot weekend (20 pics)

This forum is for sharing the photographs I take of Conner, Zach, Anita, me and other family members, or any other things I take pictures of, I suppose.

2004-10-11 - Gunshoot weekend (20 pics)

Postby brad on Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:14 am

We joined mom and dad over in Eastern KY and Dave went with us for some fun. Anita and mom took the boys over to Lexington on Saturday so that Anita could visit with her grandparents. Mom shopped all day I believe. Never leaving ONE store! That's what the story is anyway.

We stayed behind and had some fun of our own. We joined up with John after an all night shift and despite having to be exhausted, he was gracious enough to let us pull out his big toys. I think Dave had a really good time and really enjoyed getting to shoot the machine guns.

Oh yah! One more thing. I know understand what that old phrase "mad as a hornet" means. I got stung twice in the span of about 20 minutes. TWICE! In the head! THE HEAD!!! Yes, ouch. I couldn't even remember the last time I had been stung by a bee of any kind or anything. I do remember now that I don't enjoy it very much. Thankfully, I'm not allergic to it or anything, but it sure hurt like crazy.

Here's Dave on the 30 caliber

Dad on the 30

John getting us reloaded

Me on the 30

Dad on his nice little decked out .223 he brought over.

John trying out the same

John getting the AR ready.

Okay, the "shorty" made a really nice concusive blast that the hornets apparently REALLY didn't like. Well, seeing as I was taking pictures and video from the right side of John there, and directly above me was the hornets... so, yah, they took out their anger on my head.

This is what the hornet nest looked like:

Back to shooting..

Here is John sitting calmly with the 50 cal. sniper rifle. Notice how calm and peaceful it looks...

Now, look at this picture taken just as he was firing....

...big difference. Notice the heavy canvas rippling from the blast. Man, what a concussion on this thing.

Dave taking a turn on the big single shot 50

He liked it very much. Here he is happily reloading.

Me taking my turn

Dad finally decided he'd had enough of watching everyone else shoot this thing and decided this was the year to try it out. Amazingly he had no difficulty with it. The recoil is pretty heavy, granted, but not nearly as bad as you'd think - especially with the padded jacket. The real issue is the blast and the concussion.

Here dad is lining up for the shot

..and here is the shot. Look at that composure

Here is Dave on the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle)

John also on the BAR. There's a little bit of a fire burst in this shot also.

Dad brought over the big S&W 500 also and Dave and I put it to the test .

You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in. - Arlo Guthrie
brad
Uber Orbs of Retardidity
Uber Orbs of Retardidity

Return to Brad's Photos